It's been a busy day so far, but we've launched. :-)
Slight recap of today's happenings (spread out over the ~18 hours since it's launched):
- Server launched (~10min late, as we were doing some last minute testing).
- Encountered people having login/registration issues because they were registering on our alpha server. Later found out that it was our fault, as the link in the thread was pointing there. We redirected alpha to beta, and merged in most of the accounts registered on alpha before fixing the link itself.
- Encountered a crash related to height map lookups & promptly fixed it.
- Encountered an issue relating to most monsters refusing to spawn in Moradon. While we were diagnosing it, Dogamon their spawns up to help players level. Initial attempt at resolving this didn't help much on beta (but cleared up the issue locally), but later we fixed it properly.
- Fixed some other trivial issues; range checks on party rewards, (multiple) character deletions, some quests not responding, Kurian/Porutu not being able to equip warrior armour, rogues not getting rebirthable armour from the [Gear Dispenser] NPC, NP charging not functioning on Karus-side, transformations, 7 key quest, NP gain/loss in the Abyss. Also a couple of trivial crashes caused by recent changes that were encountered in this time, but nothing too serious.
Aside from the crashes (which were mostly recent, trivial oversights, aside from one old one that was written off back in early alpha as being caused by something else [the only issue to be written off as such, so it's nice that's taken care of!]), there's been nothing too serious we've needed to address.
So all things considered, a pretty good launch thus far!
We really appreciate everyone jumping in-game and helping us test, you guys really are amazing. Thank you again to everybody helping us test. :-)
In preparation for beta, we've setup Zendesk as our support system as we find it integrates well with our social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter), as well as accepting e-mails from our support address ([email protected]), and generally makes life all that much easier.
You can access it via the "Support" menu at the top, https://support.apexko.com/, or directly via https://apexko.zendesk.com/ if you happen to encounter issues (note that we're still somewhat refining it to a point where we consider it friendly to use, but it's pretty friendly out of the box).
Please be aware that if you've ever clicked on the Support link at any time in the past, it will most likely redirect you to the forums -- this was a slight misconfiguration on our part (permanent redirect instead of temporary), causing browsers to cache the redirect. Unfortunately, to fix this, you need to reset your browser's cache. Sorry for the inconvenience caused there, fingers crossed it doesn't affect too many people.
In addition to support being added, you may notice we've also switched the site over to SSL. This improves account security tenfold, as it kills off the remaining vector for man-in-the-middle attacks. Unfortunately, this does tend to have an issue with extremely old browsers (Internet Explorer 6, and possibly 7), so if you're using a browser this old, we recommend upgrading. Not just for us, but because these browsers provide such a poor web experience in general. On behalf of all web developers everywhere, please update your browser! :-)
A day and a half left until the beta launch! To ensure everyone makes it on time (ugh, timezones!), here's a simple countdown you can refer to instead:
(edit: it has launched!)
In regards to the client, we haven't yet updated the page with the beta client. We'll do that within a few hours, and let you guys know when that's the case.
If you don't wish to wait, or you've already downloaded it, the existing alpha client will still be compatible, however you may experience a visual effect bug that can only be fixed via the fully updated beta client (at this time, anyway. We're working on that to avoid future such issues).
What I do feel I need to mention, however, is for the beta launch we're expecting a considerable number of players. This is vital for helping us stress-test the server (so if you have friends who aren't going to bother until official, if you can even get them just logging in just for the beta launch, that'd be very much appreciated!).
What this means is, while we're hoping for otherwise, we're fully prepared for a rocky start. This shouldn't be a deterrance; we've done all we can in anticipation of a heavy load, and have tested it pretty thoroughly thus far (via alpha testing, our own private testing, and our own stress tests with 'bot' sessions), so now all's left is seeing how it plays out and adjusting things as needed.
If the worst comes to worst (it's just as likely it won't!), and there is a bit of down-time at launch, this is nothing but a good thing: it saves us from encountering these issues at official, when it really matters, and helps us to know what to expect and better prepare for official. If this does happen, we hope you'll stick around for as much time as you can spare (even just simply being ingame), to help us ensure everything's on-track for official, as it would help us immensely!
With that out of the way, hope to see you all there at the launch!
In preparation for the upcoming beta, we have ordered & migrated our data over to the new servers we'll be using for beta.
As a result, you may encounter some unintended bugs with the website.
In all likelihood they'll be dealt with shortly, however - just in case we happen to miss them - we'd very much appreciate it if you could submit a bug report on our forums so that we're made aware of them.
Thanks for your patience, and we're looking forward to seeing you all here at the beta launch! :-)
Apex KO's beta will be launched on the 24th of April, more detailed information down below and on the forums!
Apex KO BETA – 24th of April 20:00 UTC+3 (Turkey), 12:00 UTC-5 (Peru), 13:00 UTC-4 (New York), 10:00 UTC-7 (San Francisco), 25th 01:00 UTC+8 (Beijing), 25th 03:00 UTC+10 (Sydney)
Rewards are there for EVERYONE!
Leveling rewards : (determined by your highest level character at the end of BETA)
Reaching level 60 : Beta Tester title
Reaching level 70 : Gladiator XP scroll
Reaching level 80 : Trina’s Piece
Reaching level 83 : EXP Premium (7 days)
These rewards STACK, so reaching level 80 gets you a trina’s piece, gladiator scroll, and beta tester title!
Bug reporting rewards: (first come, first claimed!)
Most severe bug : tailored to the gravity of the bug
Most bugs reported : EXP premium (30 days)
Second most bugs reported : Valkyrie or Gryphon or Bahamut package
Third most bugs reported: Pathos Gloves package
Smaller bugs: 1 of a variety of PUS items or 25-100 KC (depending on gravity of the bug)
Events run in first weekend (24th, 25th, 26th) :
24th of April :
- 100 Apex Points for logging in and claiming your reward at the reward NPC! (ONLY ON 24!)
- 25 Apex Points FOR EACH EVENT completed! (Chaos, BDW)
- Possibly a Dark Lunar War a few hours after the start of BETA
25th of April :
- 25 Apex Points for EACH EVENT completed! (Forgotten Temple, Chaos, BDW)
- Bifrost will be run
- Lunar War (with invasion) will be run
26th of April:
- 25 Apex Points for EACH EVENT completed! (Juraid, Chaos, BDW)
- Lunar war (with invasion) will be run
- Castle Siege war – with 50 Apex Points for each member of the winning clan!
You will be able to continue leveling throughout the week and claim those leveling rewards.
2nd weekend (1st, 2nd, and 3rd of May) will have more events and opportunities to earn rewards – more on this after the first weekend has ended!